Sunday 3 June 2012

Genuine Ambercombie v Fit

Since I'm not going anywhere for the moment, might as well write about something else


Random Vietnamese Guy: Hi, those are really nice shoes

Me: Huh?

RVG: Yeah, really nice shoes. Where did you get them from?

M: You're kidding, right? These are not nice shoes

RVG: Yeah they are

M: They came from some really cheap shop back home. I doubt you have heard of it

RVG: Oh well, I saw you earlier in <generic tourist attraction>

M: I doubt it. I only got off the plane an hour ago

RVG: So it wasn't you? I'm sure it was you

M: Yeah well, us white guys all looks the same

RVG: So anyway, I guess looking at you that you are from Australia

M: Err..

RVG: Come on, Australia right? Am I right or am I wrong

M: You're wrong

RVG: Oh. Where you from then?

M: UK

RVG: UK! Yes, of course! I should have known that. Which city?

M: Bristol

RVG: Brisbane?

M: What? No. Brisbane is in.... Look, I'm not Australian. I come from Bristol

RVG: BRISTOL!!! YOU ARE FROM BRISTOL IN THE UNITED KINGDOM!!!

M: Why are you shouting?

RVG: Yes, Bristol. Very nice city

M: You know it?

RVG: Uh, yeah. So....... Bristol... it is in.... Bristol is in the ......   east?

M: Not quite

RVG: So where is it then?

M: South west. Pretty different to east

RVG: Yeah, I do know Bristol. Actually my sister is moving there next month

M: Is she really? Well, that is a coincidence isn't it?

RVG: Yes, it is a coincidence.

M: You really don't get sarcasm do you?



At this point RVG receives a phone call that last about 2.5 milliseconds.



RVG: So yeah, anyway, my sister is moving to Bristol next month. She is a nurse and will work at Bristol General Hospital. Do you know it?

M: The hospital?

RVG: Yeah, Bristol General Hospital. She will look after old people

M: That's not really what they do there. Plus it is closing next month

RVG: But my mother, she is worried about my sister. She worries about safety and her being in a foreign country

M: And let me guess. You want me to come back to your house and reassure your mother that everything is ok, that the UK is very safe, Bristol is a lovely city and all that

RVG (offended): No! Why would you think that? I'm not going to ask you back to my house. Why do you say it like that?

M: Because I've heard of this routine before

RVG (very friendly again): Ok, Matt. Well it was lovely to meet you. Hope you have a great holiday

M: Yeah, right.

No comments:

Post a Comment